Alytus is the largest city of South Lithuania and the historical centre of the Dzūkija, a spectacular region of forests, mushrooms, fruits, songs and many other things that are so sweet for people’s hearts. The city lies on the banks of the Nemunas River. The first Alytus was mentioned in 1377 in the written historical chronicles under the name of Aliten. In 1581, the King of Poland and the Grand Duke of Lithuania Steponas Batoras (1533 – 1586) gave Alytus city rights. Alytus includes many beautiful churches, thematic monuments and a few remarkable historical places to visit. The city has a population of 68 000.