aunas is the second-largest city in Lithuania and has historically been a leading centre of Lithuanian economic, academic, and cultural life. An old legend claims that Kaunas was established by the Romans in ancient times. The town was first mentioned in written sources in 1361. In 1408, Kaunas was granted Magdeburg Rights by Vytautas the Great (1392 – 1430). The oldest part of the city is the Old Town located to the east of the confluence of the Nemunas and Neris rivers. Parks, groves, gardens, nature reserves, and agricultural areas occupy more than 50 % of the city’s teritory. Central Kaunas is defined by two pedestrian streets: the 2-km-long Laisvės alėja (Liberty Avenue), a central street of the city, lined by linden trees, and its continuation, Vilnius Street, leading to the oldest part – Old Town of Kaunas.